Wednesday, June 15, 2016

BIBLE STUDY: "Praying Like Jesus" Week # 1

Scripture Sharing………..

 
 
 
Matthew 6:9-13   

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.

 

Matthew 21:22

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

 

Matthew 7:7-11

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

 

Mark 11:24

Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

 

John 14:13-14

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

 

John 15:7

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

 

John 15:16

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

 

John 16:23-24

And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

 

Week # 1     Praying Like Jesus………………

These lessons get better as we go. There are so much to learn about Jesus and His prayer life. Our reading assignment is the book of Genesis because it's the beginning of all things. Prayer is a beginning in our relationship with God. God through Jesus' life encourages us to pray always. Jesus left a legacy for us concerning our relationship with the Father through prayer. Praying is talking to God, meditating on His Word, worshipping Him through songs and praises, and much more; also, its trusting God in whom He is.  Adam trusted God and communicated with Him in the cool of the day every day (Genesis 3:8) Amen. I had to learn to pray, talk with God any time I felt the need to talk to my Father. That is praying! Jesus practiced that all the time. Praying like Jesus is talking with the Father in a relationship. Talking, but listen is a must in our prayer life.

 

PRIVATE DEVOTION TIME:

 

Morning Devotions (Mark 1:35-38)

"And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. 36 And Simon and they that were with him followed after him.

37 And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek for thee.

38 And he said unto them, Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also: for therefore came I forth."

 

Jesus found time to get alone with His Father and worship Him in prayer. This one is a morning time with the Father. There is also morning times, evening times, or just talking in your ever day routine time, amen. Praying like Jesus means, finding time to be alone with God just as He intended from the beginning in Genesis 3:8.  If you want to have a prayer life like Jesu, you must get into the presence of God, the divine presence Genesis 28:15; this is a comfort for all children of God, all creation as well. We need private devotion time with the Lord. Plan a time to spend with your Father in heaven daily, amen.

 

This Week's NOTABLE PRAYERS:

 

Abraham (Genesis 18:23)

And the Lord said, because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know. 22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the Lord. 23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? 24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein? 25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right? 26 And the Lord said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes. 27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes: 28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.

 

Read this week's notable prayer.

 QUESTIONS:

 
 


1).        Our notable prayer for this week says, "Abraham did what before he prayed?" (vv. 22, 23) Explain.

He entered into a (solitary place), he drew near to God, and talked with God as he interceded for others.

 

2).        How did Abraham demonstrate his relationship with God?

Abraham demonstrated his relationship with God by staying before God in a solitary place, and by his faith in God. He believed and trusted God enough to pray to Him.

 

3).        What is a solitary place?

A solitary place is a place that one chooses to spend time alone with God; Moses, Elijah and David gives us testimonies of their times of solitude with God. Moses was on the back side of the desert when God spoke to him through the burning bush; David was out in the field watching sheep and writing Psalms; Elijah discovered God tends to whisper, as he was at the entrance of a cave. Those who walk with God will tell you, God does not ordinarily shout to make Himself known. 

 

PRAYER FOCUS:

To be in God's presence to pray with a grateful heart

 
 

APPLY IT:     Daily Quiet Time with God

 

Father God, hear my prayers and let my cry come before You in Jesus' name. Father God, I honor my time with You each morning; I am praying that my time with You will extend to evenings and nightly as well in Jesus' name. During my daily quiet time with You I will not turn on the TV, listen to music, or communicate with anyone but You. Help this to be so each day I live, because I want to pray like Your Son Jesus prayed. Holy Spirit, teach me to pray, and please pray through me to my Father in Heaven. During my quiet time I will read Your Word, read a personal devotion, sing a song, memorize a scripture, focus on spiritual goals, ultimate goals, and speak positive things into my life, AMEN.

 

This can be early in the morning, mid-day, evening, and late night, your choice. Choose a time to spend with the Lord daily.

 

Prayer request today:

Pray that we would recognize that government is appointed by God and thereby designed to accomplish His purposes. (Romans 13:1) "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God."

 
 

 THOUGHT4TODAY:

"If you have never had any distractions you don't know how to pray" (by Thomas Merton)

 

Over and over again Jesus communicated the effectiveness of prayer.

 

Matthew 21:22

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

 

Matthew 7:7-11

 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

 

Mark 11:24

Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

 

John 14:13-14

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

 

John 15:7

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

 

John 15:16

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

 

John 16:23-24

And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. 24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

No comments:

I AM HERE